Yuletide Ramblings...

I've been in Bangladesh for nearly three months. Glad that I'm here, be glad when I go home.

I keep getting asked whether this experience has changed me, whether everything is as I expected, or whether I've been thrown off my feet...

Truthfully, it hasn't changed me at all... it has however given me renewed focus regarding where I want to be in life, what I want to do with that life, and to some extent where I want to lead that life.

I presented at a fundraising dinner held for Habitat a couple of days ago. During the evening I met a gentleman who had led quite an eclectic life; his interests were as diverse as they were numerous, and he had to some extent or another followed everypath he could. What struck me was his statement that at this point in his life, all the skills he had picked over time all seemed to fit in with what he was doing now, as if the paths he had taken weren't so random after all.

That's a reassuring thought.

It's been another busy couple of weeks, and an especially busy last 4 days. I'm trying to tie up some ends before wednesday, when I fly out for Texas.

Yesterday was Victory Day here in Bangladesh, the day in 1972 when Bangladesh claimed its independance from Pakistan. Much like Independance Day in the U.S., flags were flying from every store window, every car, every house, every rickshaw. My favourite celebratory moment came at around 6.00pm, as I was heading to a basketball game; as kitted cars raced each other down the main street, I noticed one was painted in the colours of the Bangladeshi Flag... and also wrapped around a barrier... I'm sure the New Yorker would love to have that picture as inspiration for one of their cartoons.

Our local fundraising is going quite well. The new website has drawn a fair amount of attention, our marketing campaign seems to be doing well, and our information flow seems to be improving. As for management of programs and development of alternate, permanent resources... I need to remind myself that not everyone shares my sense of pace in the workplace...

I can't wait for Christmas. I'll still be working while I'm in the U.S, but at least I'll be with family.

More pics up soon, I promise.

Almost forgot; went to the bookstore yesterday, and spotted dozens of Archie and Jughead magazines. I didn't know they still made those! Funny how much of my values I can attribute to comic books like Archie, Tintin, and Asterix... I'm sure there's a sociological, if not anthropological study in there somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech to Campbell High Year 10 Graduation...

Ramblings in August...

Kosovo...