More Ramblings...

It's another late night at the office... I've had 5 hours of sleep in the last 2 nights... not unusual for me, I suppose, though I wonder if that's something to be worried about...

We are all trying to wrap things up in the next couple of weeks before the office shuts down for Christmas... I can't believe it's that time of year again... feels great... so of course the workload has increased significantly, which came as quite a surprise because I had myself believing I couldn't work any harder if I wanted to...

I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I want to head home, so here's a quick update;

It's hot.

I'm surprised I have to explain why I'm fasting to everyone around me... Ramadan wasn't that long ago, how can people forget the concept of fasting so quickly?

The number of people in Dhaka has increased in the last 2 weeks. No-one has any idea why.

Elections are still planned for next year. As of today there are 0 candidates. That's right, I said ZERO.

My rickshaw driver still asks me for money everyday. Yes, it's the same one that took all that money from me before then dissappeared. Yes I'm an idiot for still using him.

You know the ads for the concession stand you see at the movies, where the hot dogs and popcorn and candy dance on the screen? That's the dream I have every night now. I told you I'm hungry.

I have a contact list of 552 local companies and 47 multinationals I need to approach to become partners in Bangladesh. By Wednesday.

I've managed to call 39 today.

It would have been more, but here's an unusual fact about Bangladesh; companies do not feel the need to inform anyone of their phone number... and when they do, they don't feel anyone has to asnwer the phone when it rings... nor identify themselves if they miraculously pick up the phone... which leads to some very awkward conversations.

"Yes?"
"Good morning, my name is Pierre, I am calling from an International NGO, Habitat for Humanity. How are you today?"
"Yes?"
"Um, good morning, how are you?"
"Yes?"
"Sorry, is this (insert company name here)?"
"(Guttural Sound)"
"Excuse me?"
"Yes?"
"Is this (company name)?"
"Your name?"
(I put the phone down, punch my filing cabinet, bite a desk in half, then punch a hole in the wall. Then get back to it...)

Update on the book I'm writing: 4 words. "Written by Pierre Johannessen". That's deep... where's the Red Bull?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech to Campbell High Year 10 Graduation...

Ramblings in August...

Seeing it for the first time...