My Biggest Fan...

Carly has taken to calling me out in her blog... which is hilarious, so here are some responses to her "4 Truths and a Lie" game...


a) I've never been dragged out of bed to cover a shortfall in a bill at The
Westin - YES I HAVE

I will never forget this moment... after another tough week, full of sleepless nights, pressure from deadlines and an imposing sense of running out of time, the stars and moons aligned and allowed me one morning to sleep in... yet Ms Carly and Ms Emma, having spent the evening yet again at Casa Del Dengue, the luxurious and sought-after apartment I share with my Communist and Capitalist housemates (you're welcome ladies), had other ideas...

I was awoken by a call from Ms Carly...

I hold Carly in high regard; her wit and her blog have kept me entertained these last 10 months... so despite feeling cheated by the world at having been awoken on my only day of rest, I answered the phone... only to be told that the aformentioned couple (of knuckleheads) had decided to brunch at the Westin hotel, perhaps Dhaka's most expensive hotel, and had somehow accumulated a higher bill than they could afford...

By higher bill, I don't mean 10 to 20% over... I mean double.

That's right, double.

So who has to head over and save the day? Yup. That's correct...


b) I regularly get out of my cave and visit friends in other parts of
Bangladesh - I LOVE MY CAVE, BUT AM NOT ALWAYS IN IT

Ms Carly refers to my room as a cave, as in I go in and don't come out... what's amusing is that I am mostly out of the house when she visits (not on purpose), nevertheless...

Ms Carly has a point; I have yet to visit any AYADs living outside of Dhaka, which is somewhat of a sore point... I keep making plans to visit, not only AYADs in country, but also in places like Nepal and China, yet work always seems to come between them... That's not to say that I feel I am losing out, far from it. Travelling with work has taken me from Patuakhali to Bhuapur, and I have had the opportunity to visit villages from Barguna District to Srimongol... My frequent flyer miles on the local Seaplane have been quickly accumulating, and though I have yet to visit Ms Carly and the others, between work and sports and my social life, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

I also feel quite proud about how well I know Dhaka city now... I can proudly say I have been to every part of the city, and can find my way to and from anywhere... quite a daunting thought when I first arrived...


c) I haven't had a visit from the AYAD documentary film crew - YES I HAVE

What a hectic 3 days... great group of people, very positive and open and friendly. It was nice to be able to take them throughout Dhaka, as well as to Mirzaganj and to Tongi, to the Home of Hope Orphanage. (Shameless plug: if you would like to donate to them, contact me.)

Oh and Matt, if you're reading this, Bronson and I won that game. You heard me. Big Bangs are Kings.


d) I have an unhealthy work/life/sleep balance - WHAT??

Yes Ms Carly, I don't sleep much. Yes Ms Carly, I work a lot. Yes Ms Carly, I do a lot outside of work.

Where is the problem?


e) I try to cook my own dinner, with vegies, at home as much as possible - NO I DON'T

A constant source of disappointment to others and myself, I never cook for myself, unless you count boiling a packet of noodles once every 2 months as cooking... This is a far cry from how I usually live, but I have to admit that since coming to Bangladesh I have not cooked much at all...

There are a few reasons, among which is that work is so exhausting that by the time I come home I have no inclination to do any cooking. Having Alex in the house has also spoiled me, as he usually does the cooking when he is in Dhaka. There is also the social aspect as well; I spend so many nights at games or events or gatherings that I either eat with friends at a restaurant, or am so drained when I get home that the only foreseeable option is a pizza...

Not healthy, not happy.

I miss my steamed vegetable and salad dinners... and my steak dinners... and my italian dinners... and my persian food... and my fajitas... and my curries...

Thanks Ms Carly, for singling me out in your blog.

See you when you next visit Dhaka.

Comments

Carly said…
Tehehe - but I must clarify - I was far too chicken to make the call from the Westin...I made Emma do it!

Popular posts from this blog

Stay In The Arena...

Ramblings in August...

Kosovo...