Zimbabwe...

You have to see this...

Every single day my conversations with people inevitably come back to how difficult it seems to change Bangladesh's current situation...

Richard, from the Dhaka project, has a nice take on some of the issues relating to organisational development. Click here for the article.

I have previously posted some of the other institutional issues this country has, as well as some random day-to-day problems which seem to grind this country to a halt at times...

My roommates and I have been following the Zimbabwe "elections" (I hesitate to use any word directly related to democracy in this context) as closely as we can, with a mix of disgust, disappointment and, truth be told, a little sorrow... I can't help but feel this country is only a breath away from Zimbabwe's situation at times... with elections planned for the end of the year, and no candidates nominated as yet, the possibility is there...

Expectations are a funny thing. Even when you think you've rid yourself of them, or perhaps especially so, they always seem to be hiding just below the surface... I came to Bangladesh "knowing" how the development industry works; there would be no "crusaders for justice", gunslinging, tobacco chewing, cowboy human rights and development workers busting down doors and running the bad guys out of town...

But really, I kinda sorta did...

Not that I'm advocating that sort of attitude... I'm a product of my environment; have as many facts as you can muster together, listen carefully to the opposition, be prepared to compromise and adjust your stance, without losing sight of your intentions and goals, work together to achieve the best possible outcome...

Yet every now and then, knocking some heads together just seems like the right thing to do... raising your voice just seems like the right thing to do... telling someone they are bringing shame upon themselves, their family and their people just seems like the right thing to do... busting down doors just seems like the right thing to do...

But what happens if it's not just 1 person... or a handful of people... or a building's worth of people...

What if it's an entire regime, an entire class?

What if it's so ingrained in the culture that those most adversely affected cannot identify it as a problem?

I'm a policeman in Bangladesh. I don't make much money. I have a stick and some power. Everyone else is doing it. Give me some cash.

I'm a soldier in Zimbabwe. I make better money than 95% of the population. I want to keep my job. Everyone else is kicking your ass. I will too.

So assuming those are the thoughts in people's heads, and yes I know the dangers of assuming, and again yes, I know that most people don't even get to the conscious thought stage, it's just the way of life, nevertheless assuming the validity of the above statements, how can I possibly justify a cowboy mentality?

Just a side note here; I don't have an issue with cowboys. You know (I'm assuming only my family reads this blog with any regularity) Texas is my home. I wore a cowboy hat everywhere until I was 7...

Back to my ramblings... so maybe quiet, constant discourse is the only answer... but are more people not frustrated by the lack, or seemingly so, of progress? Of improvement? Of change? Maybe the discourse should be a little less quiet and a little more resolute...

Maybe we need to stop assuming (I'm one to talk) that our opponent/opposition/esteemed colleagues/ other generic term is on the same page as we are...

Maybe we need to stop assuming that everyone shares the same values and opinions and beliefs as us...

In the same breath I hear others say "Mugabe is crazy" and "he knows he's evil"... I'm sorry, what? So is he crazy, or is he a cartoon character bent on world domination?

I'm going with crazy...

So here's an idea; instead of throwing criticisms around as if we never left the school yard, how about a little maturity? A little poise? A little cowboy-esque stoicism and the thousand-yard stare?

I have no idea where I'm going with this line of thought... It's just so frustrating... It's all so miserably depressing at times...

There has to be a way out.

There's always a way out.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'll be on the next flight to Zimbabwe...

As for that photographer from Zimbabwe... mad love brother/sister, stay safe...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech to Campbell High Year 10 Graduation...

Ramblings in August...

Seeing it for the first time...