More Ramblings...

Every time I try to write a new update I invariably begin with "I'm so tired..."

Last Thursday was Language Day, one of the most important days of the Bengali calendar.  The link explains a little of the background, but you really have to be here to appreciate how monumental the day is.  The amount of national pride is quite staggering; although the issue of mother language was the spark for the War of Independence, it was by no means the sole cause.

I was quite fortunate to be able to take a few people to Dhaka University for the event.  Once in the middle the masses, Marcus, a Habitat UK staff visiting Habitat Bangladesh, immediately coaxed us into painting our faces with the Bangladeshi flag, just like the locals... it turned out to be a great way to make new friends!

At one point Marcus, Carla, who is a temporary visitor from Canberra, and I were interviewed for local television... the report apparently made the news, but I have yet to see the copy...

It was nice to get out of the office; I have been seriously considering bringing my sleeping bag here to save time...

On Sunday I visited the Sisters of Mercy Orphanage in Old Dhaka.  The Sisters are from mother Theresa's order, and care for some 70 orphans, sick and disabled children.  Danielle, a former AYAD, brought the orphanage to my attention through her incredible work organising for the transport and surgery in Australia of conjoined twins from the orphanage.  Another AYAD, Richard, has also volunteered his time there.  I can't help but be both proud and in awe of them both.

From the second I got out of the van a little kid jumped in my arms and wouldn't let go... I was taken on a tour of the building, from the orphan wing to the disabled to the newborns... the Sisters were beautiful, there's no other way to describe them... there is a genuine love for the children, who themselves seem happy and playful...

I need to bring more people here... orphanages are never the most pleasant places on earth, but here is a great example of how an orphanage can be a safe, happy home...

Having said that I still pray each and every one of those kids gets adopted into a loving family...

I was quite surprised to find out that foreigners cannot adopt Bangla kids... not sure why the Government has imposed that rule...

I had better get back to work, I've already been typing this post for 10 minutes, and as usual there are hundreds of things to do and not enough time to do them...

Blogged with Flock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay In The Arena...

Ramblings in August...

Seeing it for the first time...