TGI... Thursday?

Another Thursday, another week gone...

Seems as though every week tries to outdo the previous, as if someone is keeping score.  It's been quite a big week for my department; we have had several successes which have in turn resulted in more successes...

Tomorrow I take a group of interested parties to our flood-relief project in Tangail, about 2 hours north-west of Dhaka.  I have arranged for one of the project managers to provide some information regarding both the overall concept of the project, as well some specific logistical information, such as the design of the houses, and why that is important.

It should be a good opportunity to indulge in some photography... yes I have been remiss lately, I apologize...  and yes I know I wrote "apologize", not "apologise"...

Next week is shaping up to be quite busy again... I will be in the field for 5 days, involved in monitoring and evaluation of our programs.

This Saturday is the tenth day of Muharram, Muharram being the first month of the Islamic calendar.  It is considered a holy day, and has been declared a national holiday.  Nevertheless I will still be coaching at the American School.

I miss my family terribly; I may have to make another trip back to the US in a couple of months to alleviate the pain.

Speaking of traveling, I have run into somewhat of a barrier.  My visa to Bangladesh, though valid for 12 months of stay after entry, expires in February.  This means I cannot leave the country then return after February.

Somewhat of a problem.

It turns out that while the application for an extension of visa is quite straightforward, the approval process now stands at an astounding 4 months waiting time... and counting.  It seems that due to the lack of Government, there is no-one available in any ministry that is able to approve such requests.  In fact the Australian Government is now involved to the point where the original signed agreements between the two countries are being waved about as evidence that my fellow AYAD's and I are entitled to visas for the extent of our stay here in Bangladesh.

Not all of us are in the same boat; some have been given 10 month visas, others 6, others the full 12 months... nothing quite like more stress in a 3rd world country...

Interesting quote from the AYAD officer who paid me a quarterly monitoring visit the other day; "isn't (what you are doing) a lot of stress for a volunteer?"...

Yes.  Next question?

I feel somewhat blessed that pressure now tends to annoy me into action rather than stifle me... once again, take a bow mom and dad!

I am rapidly running out of granola and cereal bars... I am now attempting to order them, as well as cran-slam mix, from distributors in Texas...

If the cost of couriering my textbooks over is anything to go by, this is going to be a thin year...

By the way, o great State of Texas, any word regarding the Republic?  Just checking in.  Keep me posted.

Spurs vs Cavs in the morning, 3am... good thing I only sleep 1 night a week.

Blogged with Flock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech to Campbell High Year 10 Graduation...

Ramblings in August...

Kosovo...